Membership of the Kew Guild is open to:
- Past and present staff members of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
- Kew Enterprises
- Kew Foundation & Friends
- International Trainees
- Research and Liaison Scientists
provided the above have worked continuously at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew for at least three months.
- The Journal, published May/June, gives news of Kew and Kewites worldwide. It contains interesting articles, reports and details of members. The Kew Scientist is distributed biannually.
Kew Guild Website
- This gives up to date news, and access to previous Journals on line. Payment of the annual subscription allows access to the members’ area of the website.
The Kew Guild Award Scheme
- Allows the opportunity to apply to the Kew Guild Award Scheme, which annually funds Travel and Education projects, normally relating to Horticulture and Botany. The Kew Guild Award Scheme plays an important part by sponsoring and administering bursaries, awards and travel scholarships. These are open to all members of the Guild. The Guild also funds annual prizes which are presented at the Kew Diploma student graduation ceremony.
Lectures and social events
- The opportunity to meet Kewites and their families at events arranged in various parts of the country including the Annual Dinner and AGM and Soirée. Information on lectures and other events at Kew, including the Kew Guild sponsored lecture at the commencement of the Kew Mutual Improvement Society lecture programme each autumn to which Guild members are invited.
Friends of Kew
Friends of Kew members of Kew Guild are entitled to individual Friends membership at the staff discount price of £26. The membership must be paid for by Direct Debit and entitles you to free entry to Kew and Wakehurst Place for you and a family member, Kew Magazine delivered to your home 3 times a year and discounts in Kew's shops. Call 020 8332 3200 with your membership number for more details.
- Extracted from Rules of the Kew Guild AGM 2008
- 3. a Full membership of The Guild shall be open to the following, subject to ratification by the Kew Guild Committee.
- (i) Kew Diploma Students, from the beginning of the Kew Diploma Course.
- (ii) Past and present members of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, RBG Kew Enterprises Limited and the Foundation and Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, internal trainees, research and liaison scientists and volunteer workers, provided that they have worked for a period(s) exceeding in total at least 3 months at one of these organisations.
- (iii) Persons awarded Honorary Membership by the committee.
- (iv) On the death of a spouse or partner an Associate Member may take up Full Membership(see 3b)
- (v) Persons associated with Kew but outside the categories set out in 3.a.(i) to (iv) who have been awarded membership at the discretion of the committee
- 3. b Associate Members. The spouses or partners of full members.
- 3. c Honorary Fellows. Persons of professional or academic achievement not qualifying for membership under categories 3.a. or 3.b. may be appointed as Honorary Fellows by the Kew Guild Committee. The committee may not award more than three Fellowships in any Guild year and the total number of Fellows shall not exceed twenty –five at any one time. Nominations for Fellowship shall be considered and approved by the Kew Guild Award Scheme committee before approval by the full Committee.
- 4. Full members of the Guild shall have the right to vote at meetings and will be eligible for election as Officers of the Guild. Associate and Fellow Members do not have voting rights.
- Annual subscriptions
- 6. a Annual subscriptions shall be payable on the first day of January each year and shall be an amount approved at the preceding Annual General Meeting. Payment of the subscription shall entitle Full Members to receive the Annual Journal and other benefits of membership. Associate Members do not pay a subscription, do not receive a copy of the Journal and have no voting rights. Honorary Fellows do not pay a subscription for membership and receive full benefits of membership, but have no voting rights.
- 6. b. Journal subscriptions shall be at a rate determined by the Committee.
- 6. c. Failure to renew a subscription by 1st of March of any year will result in the membership terminating.
- 6. d. If a member resigns during a year there is no refund of any part of the subscription for that year.
Current membership subscription rates as at 8th September 2012:
- Journal (Library) - £20.00
- Full membership - £15.00(n.b From 2012 there is no longer a student membership discount)
- Associate - no subscription fee for spouses or partners of full members.
- Download a Full Membership Application form
- Download a Journal Membership Application form - AVAILABLE SHORTLY
- Download a Standing Order Form form - AVAILABLE SHORTLY
*To view this document you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not already have a copy it is available free from the Adobe website. Click on the logo to go to the Adobe website.
Unfortunately on-line membership applications are not currently in operation. We hope to have this up and running as soon as possible. If you wish to apply for membership of the Kew Guild meantime, please contact the Membership Secretary at:
firstname.lastname@example.org who will email you the necessary forms